Here are some interesting facts that might encourage overweight people to think of slimming down for health reasons:
1. If you put on 6 – 10 kg of weight, be warned that you increase the risk of contracting type 2 diabetes by twice as much.
2. At least 80 percent of people who suffer from diabetes are overweight or obese (BMI > 30).
3. Obesity is linked to r certain types of cancer, for example: endometrial (cancer of the lining of the uterus), colon, gall bladder, prostate, kidney and postmenopausal breast cancer.
4. Women who put on more than 20 pounds from age 18 to middle age, double their risk of postmenopausal breast cancer when compared to women whose weight remain stable.
5. Sleep apnea (a type of breathing disorder while sleeping) is more common in obese persons.
6. For every 1kg increase in weight, the risk of developing arthritis increases.
7. Symptoms/Severity of arthritis can be improve/relieved with weight loss.